Evolution is a fascinating process which helps us understand the living world around us. Evolution can be seen almost anywhere we look today. It can be described as the change in characteristics of a species over a huge period of time. Evolution is a very important chapter in biology for students studying in ICSE, CBSE, state board, etc.
Some interesting facts about evolution are given here to help students learn the topic in a fun and easy way.
- Every living entity has evolved from a bacterium which lived billions of years ago. It is said that biological evolution started around 3.7 billion years ago.
- Seals, dogs, and bears are closely related carnivores. But they are on a different branch of the evolutionary tree than hyenas and cats.
- Some dolphins and whales have small bones inside them which shows that these species once had legs and their ancestors could walk on land. This bone appears as a rear tiny flipper.
- Birds have evolved from dinosaurs which are both descendants of reptile. Crocodiles are the closest living reptilian relation of birds.
- All human babies develop a tail in the womb which dissolves eventually.
- Dinosaurs were not the first reptile to evolve. Dinosaurs came to earth 220 million years ago whereas the first reptile crawled on land 340 million years ago.
- Around 550 million years ago, homo sapiens had a common ancestor with a rod-like sea animal called as lancelet.
- Human beings share about 31% of their genes with a single living cell yeast that replicates itself every 90 minutes.
- Homo sapiens or modern man emerged 250000 years ago. The evolution of humans has taken around 5 million years.
- The wings of penguins evolved into flippers. As swimming was easy for transportation the little wings of penguins evolved into flippers.
- The human brain is getting smaller due to evolution. According to scientists, our brain started getting smaller around 20000 years ago.
- Mammals have developed better night vision to avoid being eaten by dinosaurs.
- Human beings have little hair compared to other mammals and primates as it helps them lose heat faster, reduce parasites, etc.
- Experts believe that goosebumps are remains of the thick hair that covered primitive humans.
- Researchers are not sure if humans have reached the evolution peak or are still evolving.
These were some interesting facts about evolution. Students can learn more about this topic by visiting BYJU’S. Subscribe to BYJU’S YouTube Channel to watch interactive video lessons on various biology topics to learn more efficiently.