Everybody feels a little lost after completing their engineering degree. Whether it is Computer Science or Mechanical, there are very few people who actually pick their favorite field fāor getting an engineering degree. Rest assured, engineering is a field in which all the fields are interlinked. From Bosch careers to Siemens careers, there’s no dearth of high profile jobs. Therefore, even if you have completed your engineering degree and are figuring out how to choose a job in engineering, then this is for you. Here are some tips on how to choose the right engineering job:
- Research on All Possible Jobs: When you are just out of your degree, you have the slightest idea about your core branch only. You might not be aware of the opportunities in other branches. Therefore, you should research about all possible jobs after engineering and gather whatever information you can get.
- List All Core and Non-Core Jobs That You Are Interested In: There can be many. It is not compulsory that you need one in each category. It is possible that you don’t get any core jobs in which you are interested in. Many people shift their career paths after completing their degree. Just make a list and then move on to the next step.
- Make a Checklist of Pros and Cons of Each Job and Shortlist Accordingly: Once you have made the list, you need to categorize your jobs in terms of pros and cons priority wise. The jobs, which have fewer cons according to you and lies higher on the priority list, go into the next round.
- Further Shortlist by Trying Short Projects on Your Own: Each and every job has some sort of introductory project available online. You can take up these projects and get the feel of what lies ahead in that particular job. Once you have gained this experience, you would be able to shortlist your desirable jobs further. It is also possible that you get your dream job in this step.
- Try Live Internships and Trainings in the Shortlisted Jobs: You only know your passion for sure after you have tried it in the industry. There are many trainings and internships available in the industry and these would give you hands-on experience on the jobs you have shortlisted.
- If There Are Still Some Jobs Left, You Know That You Can Excel in Any of These and You Would Enjoy Them Too: Therefore, pick any one job from the list and keep the rest of the jobs when we want to switch our careers later.
There are countless engineering jobs available and picking one can be a daunting task. If you follow these steps carefully, you would get to your dream job in no time.